Yesterday, the Two Crabs marked our one year anniversary in Korea! We're bummed that our tour is already half over (time flies when you're having fun!) -- but we're looking forward to another year of exploring Korea (and more of Asia) with friends and colleagues!
Highlights of Year 1:
- Hiking and camping in Korean national parks (Seoraksan, Odaesan and Bukhansan!);
- Skiing the slopes of Yongpyong Phoenix Park -- the main venues for the 2018 Winter Olympic.
- 3-day ski trip to High 1 Ski resort with 30 colleagues & friends.
- Weekend bike rides along the Han river, and stopping for drinks and ramen noodles at the many waterfront 7-Elevens!
- Chillaxin with friends at Doosan Bears Korean baseball games (nothing says baseball like beer, dried squid, fried chicken and cheerleaders!)
- Exploring the back alleys of Seoul's traditional Hanok villages and markets.
- Business trips to Busan and Daegu with time to explore.
- Partying with 10,000 other Koreans and foreigners at the Boryeong Mud Festival (where we were by far the oldest party people).
- Eating at countless Korean BBQ restaurants (Korean food = AWESOME), and stumbling on great international restaurants.
- Sampling Korean street food at Namdaemun market.
- Sampling Korean craft beer and soju...and the occasional Cass swill.
- Cheap work lunches at hole-in-the-wall restaurants with food that's better than any Korean food we've ever had in the States.
- Escorting Vice President Biden to the DMZ.
- Meeting Sec. John Kerry.
- Working with White House staff during President Obama's visit.
- Hosting our first overseas guests, Angelina from San Fran and Sarah from Stuttgart!
- Using my limited Korean language skills to find a toilet, hotel or order food.
- Growing our own tomatoes, salad, watermelons, green beans and veg in our backyard garden (all Mrs. Crab's doing).
- Hosting some funtastic backyard BBQs at our home.
- FLEISCHFEST. 'Nuff said.
- Making many great Korean and Foreign Service friends and working with the most awesome Consular team ever.
Here's to another great year in Seoul!