Details are still sketchy, but three people (including at least one American) connected to US Consulate Juarez were killed in a drive-by shooting Saturday. The State Department has authorized Foreign Service families at all Mexican border posts to evacuate to the US for 30 days. President Obama is said to be "outraged."
Things are so bad that earlier this week, State authorized Foreign Service Officers at Juarez and Tijuana to draw 20% hardship pay bonus.
Click these links to see early stories from CNN.
Another article from Bloomberg:
March 14 (Bloomberg) -- The State Department has authorized the departure from Mexico of dependents of U.S. consulate personnel in cities along the U.S.-Mexico border after three people connected with the American consulate in Ciudad Juarez were murdered.
The White House issued a statement by Mike Hammer, a National Security Council spokesman, condemning the killings of a U.S. citizen employee, her husband and the husband of a Mexican citizen employee.
The incident took place yesterday in drive-by shootings, a U.S. official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The official declined to provide more detail, citing privacy concerns. Ciudad Juarez is across the border from El Paso, Texas.
A general travel warning to all U.S. citizens also was issued as the State Department authorized the dependents to leave the cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterey and Matamoros until at least April 12.
“Violence in the country has increased,” said a posting on the State Department Web site. “It is imperative that U.S. citizens understand the risks in Mexico, how best to avoid dangerous situations, and who to contact if victimized.”